1 Nephi 1: 1, 3
...therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days. And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.

^^That pretty much explains this blog.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Who Were You Named After?

I am going to skip the really personal information, i.e. birth info, names, places, since this is a public blog and I don't want that kind of information leaking out.  These may be gotten elsewhere, but the first questions deal with name and name selection.
I imagine my father selected my name since I am named after my paternal great-grandmother in New Orleans. 

                               Susan Marie Hoerner Tobelmann, my great-grandmother namesake

As a child, my nickname, according to my picture albums that my dad kept for us, was Susie.  My childhood friend, Laurie, always called me Susie.  I later changed the spelling to Suzi because it was easier to accomplish with a brush when I started adding my signature when I began painting in oils.  And, in those days, everyone started ending their names in 'i' instead of 'y' or 'ie.'  My dad sometimes called me Suze (rhymes with snooze).


Susie, at two years old

In Catholic school you didn't have nick names, so when I went to public high school, I told everyone my name was Sue.  I was Sue all through high school.

"Sue" in high school

I dropped Sue when I moved to Colorado.  My roommate, M. Catherine Ray, said it sounded too cheerleader.  She called me Susan, or Susita.  So, I've been Susan ever since.

Almost all my siblings are named after someone in the family.  I didn't like this when I was younger.  I thought everyone should have their own name, but when I started working on genealogy, I realized it was so much easier to track people who had been named after someone so you knew what family they belonged to.
Tobelmann siblings, 1979


From left, front:  Christine Mary (Mary after our grandmother, Mary Louise), Susan Marie (after our great-grandmother Hoerner), Andrew Louis (after Granny's father, Andrew Louis Heffner); back row: Jeffrey Charles (Charles is an ancestor name), John Robert (Robert is my father's cousin), Catherine Louise (Catherine after our mother, Louise after our grandmother, Mary Louise), Warren Phillip (Warren after uncles on both sides and Phillip after our maternal great-grandfather Phillip Fair McNelly) and last, but not least, Henry Joseph, III (after Henry Joseph, Jr. and Henry Joseph, Sr. and Henry Rudolf, etc., etc., ad infinitum)

All of my children have middle names after somebody, except Tim.  Timothy is his middle name.

That's all for day one.  I don't want to make this too tedious, or I may not come back to it.

I was just wondering, though...were any of my readers named after anyone in particular?  What is your nickname?

No comments: