1 Nephi 1: 1, 3
...therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days. And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.

^^That pretty much explains this blog.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Is There a Scent or Sound That Immediately Takes You Back to Childhood? Why? What does it bring to mind?

I've said it before and I'll say it again--wait for it--Vick's Vaporub!
I love the smell of Vick's!
In fact, I just found a product, do-Terra, and I bought the Physician's Kit and it has all the organic smells that I love: lavender, lemon, peppermint, melaleuca, plus frankincense, and others that just smell good to me.
I am very scent-sensitive.  Perfume can send me to the hospital. The chemicals are too much for me.  I have to move and get away from people wearing perfume or cologne.  But organic smells, like lilacs and roses and hyacinth--and whatever Vick's Vaporub is made of--just intoxicate me!

What does it bring to mind...ha-ha...being sick!? 
Actually, I think of it as a healthy smell.  Smelling Vick's is going to make me get better.
There.

My second choice is honeysuckle.  I remember Laurie Mundy and I walking through the woods and picking flowers off the vine and sucking the tiny bit of honey in the pale yellow flower and smelling that wonderful nature perfume that filled the air as we walked.  Deep breaths!  Laurie then proceeded to tell me it was against the law to pick honeysuckle.  Luckily we were embedded in a particularly dense forest while we did it. ha-ha...In fact, I just planted a honeysuckle vine right next to my front door.  I hope it grows and grows and has lots of flowers.  If it's June, it must be honeysuckle season!  I love that I can have the scent from my childhood here with me in Utah where, apparently, it is not against the law to grow domestically.

Sound?  hmmm...I'll have to think about that one.  Crickets chirping? Cicadas? They remind me of summer.  I wonder if they have those sounds in Utah.  I know they don't have lightening bugs.  Bummer.

What about you?  What smell takes you back to your childhood? 
Any sound that reminds you of anything from kidhood?  I'd like someone to give me some ideas.

No comments: